புதன், 5 ஜனவரி, 2011

12. Dusting Gems

Some gems produced by MSV are getting dusted because they have not been taken out for a long time. We need to take them out, and dust them off at least now and then.

வெத்தல போட்ட பத்தினிப்பொண்ணு சுத்துது முன்னாலே
சொக்குது கண்ணு மெச்சுது பொண்ணு கட்டிக்க மாப்பிள்ளே!

This beautiful song is from Veera Thirumagan.This song is a chorus led by TMS. Strangely, this only song of TMS in this film had been overshadowed by PBS' stunning numbers 'Paadaaatha Paattellaam' and 'Roja Malare.'

This is a lovely song and makes singing it a pleasure. TMS sings this as if in a casual manner in keeping with the light sense of the song. The pallavi, charanams and the interludes including the 'laalaa laalaa laalaa laa' are just beautiful. I am not an expert in music appreciation and am unable to describe the nuances of the song. Suffice it to say that this is a listening pleasure.

My father had no special interest in film music but he would be attracted by certain songs when he happened to hear them on the radio and he would be singing those songs rather unconsciously. This song was one of his favorites. The humorous lyrics also should have amused him.

I also sometimes sing old film songs, often uncosciously. When my son was a child, he would immediately capture whatever I sang and would reproduce them instantly. My relatives have often enjoyed making him render some such songs during family functions.'Manithan enbavan deivam aagalaam' was one of his favorites. He was 2 years plus when my wife took him along in a bus. He was also tall and appeared older than he was in his childhood. The conductor had asked my wife to purchase a ticket for him and my wife had told him that the boy was only two years old. Soon after, my son started singing:

வெத்தல போட்ட பத்தினிப்பொண்ணு சுத்துது முன்னாலே
சொக்குது கண்ணு மெச்சுது பொண்ணு கட்டிக்க மாப்பிள்ளே!

Everyone had laughed hearing this.(Most of them would not have been familiar with this song!) But the conductor asked my wife:
பையனுக்கு ரென்டு வயசுதான்னு சொன்னீஙக ஆனா பையன் இந்தப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பாடுறானே!

In a way this song is connecting three generations of my family!


 பாடலைக் கேட்டு மகிழுங்கள்


கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக